Now Offering TPLO (Tibial-Plateau-Leveling-Osteotomy) Surgeries!
Creekside Animal Hospital and Wellness Center is excited to announce that we are now offering TPLO surgeries performed by board-certified surgeon, R. Brian Martin DVM, MS, ACVS-SA.
Dr. Martin received his DVM from Virginia Tech in 2005 and completed his surgical residency at the University of Minnesota from 2007-2010. He received his ACVS Board Certification in 2011 and has worked in the Carmel area for the last 6 years. He strives to bridge the gap from primary care to surgical referral by bringing board-certified surgery to primary care practices.
Please call us for more information if you are interested in having a TPLO surgery done at Creekside!
What is TPLO Surgery?
- TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) is a surgical procedure commonly performed on dogs to address cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) injuries. The CCL, equivalent to the human ACL, stabilizes the knee joint. When it's torn or ruptured, dogs experience pain, lameness, and joint instability.
How Does TPLO Surgery Work?
- TPLO surgery involves reshaping the top of the tibia (shin bone) to change the angle of the knee joint. This eliminates the need for the CCL, allowing the femur (thigh bone) to move smoothly against the tibia. The procedure stabilizes the joint, reducing pain and improving function.
Advantages of TPLO Surgery:
- Faster Recovery: Dogs undergoing TPLO surgery typically recover quicker compared to traditional techniques.
- Improved Long-Term Outcomes: TPLO surgery reduces the risk of osteoarthritis development, leading to better long-term joint health.
- Better Joint Stability: By altering the biomechanics of the knee joint, TPLO surgery provides superior stability compared to other methods.
What to Expect During Recovery:
- Restricted Activity: Dogs will need to rest and restrict their activity levels during the initial stages of recovery.
- Physical Therapy: Rehabilitation exercises help strengthen the muscles and improve joint mobility.
- Medication: Pain management and anti-inflammatory medications may be prescribed to aid in recovery.
Is TPLO Surgery Right for Your Dog?
- TPLO surgery is recommended for medium to large dogs with CCL injuries. Our veterinarians will conduct a thorough examination and discuss treatment options based on your dog's size, age, and activity level.